About Taro Health
Taro Health is a team of healthcare nerds, software engineers, product designers, direct primary care doctors, health insurance experts, and more. We are building a healthcare system that makes sense, starting by redefining the role of health insurance – one that focuses on reducing friction for doctors and patients, and investing in ways to create more meaningful doctor-patient relationships.
We believe unrushed conversations with doctors lead to better health and lower costs for patients. Our health plans enable all members to have free and frictionless access to a dedicated doctor they know and trust. We’re excited to create health insurance plans you can actually use.
We’re backed by top investors and are looking for values-aligned individuals to join our founding team.
Our aspirations for this role
Taro Health is seeking an experienced Financial Controller to work closely with the CFO and build both the Accounting and Finance functions for a new and better health insurance company on the ACA marketplace.
This is not your typical role. For the right candidate, this is a tremendous opportunity to grow professionally by covering a broad surface area. Wearing multiple hats is an understatement for this role, but you should feel energized by that level of scope and responsibility.
Together with the CFO, you will have an integral role in managing both the accounting and financial functions of Taro Health. Your role will be hands-on from Day One and comprehensive, as is the nature of any startup. You will be deeply involved in several important financial matters, including monthly accounting functions, analysis of financial results and trends, preparation of financial statements, and regulatory reporting.
Taro Health is in its early stages. Each new team member has the opportunity to significantly shape our culture, product, strategy, and operations. Candidates should be eager to work in a dynamic, fast-moving environment where their contributions have a direct and outsized impact.
Let's dive into the details
- Accountable for monthly closing cycle along with the CFO
- Accountable for analyzing trial balance for errors and omissions
- Accountable for preparing internal financial statements and related analyses such as actual-to-budget variances and trends
- Assist in training, orienting, and developing staff accountants as Taro Health grows
- Develop standards of performance and accounting practices for staff, evaluate employees’ performance, and conduct performance management planning
- Communicate accounting policies and procedures to management and document same
- Contribute to the achievement of departmental goals and objectives and adhere to departmental policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards
- Identify potential accounting and internal control issues
- Recommend process improvements
- Remain current on latest relevant accounting and healthcare issues, including governmental regulations and procedures
- Work directly with external auditors during annual audits
Experience that excites us
Education, experience, and certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- 5 years of accounting or financial analysis in a public or private accounting setting for a health plan or similar organization
- CPA preferred
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Technical knowledge of GAAP and insurance regulatory reporting
- Ability to research and apply accounting guidance
- Knowledge of accounting systems and ERP systems
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, with the ability to summarize a significant amount of data accurately
- Working knowledge of data reporting systems including performing data-mining tasks, preparing ad-hoc reports, and diving into SQL queries
- Working knowledge of PowerPoint or other presentation applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively both within the company and outside the organization
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assigned tasks in an effective manner
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.